This ad is expired.
Service and Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment)
Job no: 496796
SUNY Budget Title: Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment)
Salary Level/Grade: SG012
Work type: Full time
Location: Brockport, NY
Department: Facilities Automotive
Categories: Facilities Maintenance & Skilled Trade
Founded in 1835, State University of New York (SUNY) Brockport is an exceptional regional comprehensive public university that offers high-quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the arts, business, education, health, humanities, social sciences, and STEM. The University's curriculum is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and emphasizes experiential learning.
Located only a few miles from Lake Ontario in a quaint "Village on the Erie Canal," SUNY Brockport is conveniently situated between the cities of Rochester and Buffalo - the fourth and second largest cities in New York State. Inspiring excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation is our mission. Join the inclusive community of dedicated faculty, staff, and students who together are Building a Better Brockport!
SUNY Brockport has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuality and encourage you to utilize your unique talents and bring your skills as we collaboratively strive to build meaningful lives and vibrant communities.
The Motor Equipment Mechanic performs skilled mechanical work in the maintenance, repair and overhaul of gasoline and diesel powered, self-propelled and non-self propelled, motor-driven equipment. Incumbent will perform routine maintenance and mechanical repairs on disabled vehicles, construction and other equipment in the field. Incumbent will perform routine maintenance and mechanical repairs on disabled vehicles, construction and other equipment in the field. Employee will perform maintenance, repairs, inspections and service functions to all University vehicles and mobile equipment. Incumbent will supervise tasks performed by subordinates, providing them with practical trades instruction and experience.
Performs skilled mechanical work in the diagnosis of breakdowns and faulty performance of vehicles and equipment:
- Visually examines the equipment, reviews breakdown reports, and if appropriate, discusses the problem with the operator to determine the nature and extent of the damage.
- Using appropriate test equipment and observation, diagnoses the cause of the faulty mechanical or electrical performance.
- Plans the work procedure required to make the repair and orders replacement parts and materials.
- Repairs, maintains, and adjusts automotive electrical systems including ignitions, switches, generators, voltage regulators, alternators, and starting motors.
- Repairs, maintains, and adjusts elements of chassis assembly including such components as steering, front end, and hydraulic brakes.
- May perform body and fender work including the restoration, scraping and spray painting of metal surfaces.
- Repairs, maintain and adjust elements of chassis assembly including steering, front end, and hydraulic brakes.
- May perform body and fender work including the restoration, scraping and spray painting of metal surfaces.
- Maintains gasoline and/or diesel engines by replacing or repairing parts such as valves, bearings, gears, shafts, pistons, rings, oil, fuel and water pumps, radiators and carburetors.
- May install new motors.
- Repair and service conventional and automatic transmissions including clutch assemblies, differentials, transfer cases, torque converters and gear trains.
- Periodically performs preventive maintenance inspections of vehicles and equipment (automotive, snow removal, light and heavy construction, grounds equipment, generator equipment) to ensure safe and trouble-free operation. This includes the cleaning, washing, and fueling of the fleet equipment that is maintained or used by the garage.
- Performs major repairs on heavy trucks and construction equipment repairs and maintains diesel powered equipment including such components as complex hydraulic systems, transmissions and differentials, hydraulic and air brakes, automotive electronics, fuel injection systems, turbochargers and starting systems.
- Welds, cuts and brazes a variety of materials using electric or oxy-acetylene welding equipment.
- May diagnose and perform repairs of University emergency generator motors.
- Tows vehicles and makes arrangements for towing of vehicles, as needed.
Oversees shop operations:
- Maintains all shop areas, storage areas and office in a clean and organized manner.
- Completes daily spot checks.
- Procures quotations and parts following procedures.
- Monitors daily fuel consumption and verifies proper operation of the fuel dispensing system.
- Accurately completes all paperwork and submit to the proper person.
- Accounts daily for the security of all tools and keys.
Performs and coordinates safety and environmental inspections:
- Coordinates inspections and schedules repairs of campus equipment (i.e., lifts, measuring devices, etc.)
- Conducts NYSDEC registered tank inspections.
- Conducts periodic safety inspections of University owned vehicles following prescribed procedures set forth by the New York State Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection Law
- Orders fuel and oil.
- Makes arrangements for disposal/recycling of waste product per DEC regulations.
- Supervises and instructs others in automotive maintenance and repair work.
- Participates in department meetings and attends all required in-house training.
- Possession of a mobile A/C certification or must obtain within the first six months.
- Possession of a New York State Periodic Motor Vehicle Inspection Law License that includes heavy-duty inspection license.
- Working knowledge of the practices and techniques of making a variety of mechanical and electrical repairs on gas powered automotive and other motor-driven equipment.
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations of the facility.
- Ability to make accurate diagnoses of mechanical or electrical problems for gas and/or diesel powered self-propelled and non-self-propelled automotive equipment.
- Ability to weld such materials as steel plate using oxy-acetylene and electric welding equipment.
- Ability to interact with Facilities staff and members of the campus community in a congenial, supportive and service-oriented manner.
- Familiar with and abides by all safety and environmental regulations pertaining to the operation of the garage, equipment, vehicles and tools.
- Performs routine and emergency tasks involving scheduled/unscheduled overtime.
- Ability to climb, stoop, and do moderately heavy labor and lifting (a minimum of 50 pounds).
- Ability to understand and follow directions and read, write and communicate verbally.
- Computer skills adequate to work with computerized maintenance management systems and other computerized applications as assigned.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships:
The Service & Repair Mechanic will supervise, train, and instructs a minimum of 1 Maintenance Assistant (Mechanic) and temporary service students and temporary employees, as assigned.
- Be familiar and comply with all University policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Ensures subordinates are adequately upholding policies.
- Ensures subordinates maintain a professional appearance and demeanor and use Personal Protective Equipment, as required.
- Assigns work and instruct and/or demonstrate proper procedures to follow.
- Observes the operation and inspect the work while in progress and when completed to ensure that the work has been performed properly.
- Participates in the monthly, semi-annually, and annual evaluation of subordinates.
- Communicates with supervisor any comments or concerns which arise.
- Assures timely and accurate completion of all paperwork, work orders, PMs and documents time and work completed.
- Ensures the proper completion of subordinate's timesheets, TMA, leave slips, and other pertinent paperwork.
Non-competitive: four years of experience as an automotive or diesel mechanic responsible for the diagnosis of faulty vehicle and/or equipment operation and the performance of mechanical repairs covering several aspects of automotive and/or diesel systems OR an associate's degree in automotive or diesel repair technology.
Substitution: Education as detailed below may be substituted for a maximum of two
years of experience.
Graduation from a technical or vocational program, such as B.O.C.E.S, in automotive or diesel technology or automotive or diesel repair technology may be substituted for one year of experience.
Graduation from a one-year post high school certificate program in automotive or diesel
repair technology may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
Must possess a New York State Class D Driver License with a tow truck endorsement.
Work Schedule: 40 hours/week 7:00am - 3:30pm
Salary and Benefits:
May be benefits eligible; Find out more about benefits at Careers@Brockport! This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Application Instructions: Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references via our Employment Opportunities website at jobs.hr.brockport.edu by February 17, 2024.
Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
Pre-Employment Drug Testing:
Pre-employment drug test and DOT physical may be required for positions requiring a valid Class A or B CDL driver's license with passenger endorsement.
New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at email@example.com.
Non-Discrimination Statement/Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
SUNY Brockport does not discriminate. SUNY Brockport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the university community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
SUNY Brockport is committed to creating and maintaining an equitable environment that welcomes, values, and supports individuals and communities who affirm human dignity. The University provides opportunities for engagement, learning, growth, and transformation to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution.
SUNY Brockport provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans, or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Office of Human Resources or email your request to Tamara Gouger, AVP for Human Resources and ADA Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Determinations or requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The University actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the University.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.brockport.edu/cw/en-us/job/496796/service-and-repair-mechanic-motor-equipment
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency