This ad is expired.
Job no: 496775
SUNY Budget Title: Maintenance Assistant
Salary Level/Grade: SG009
Work type: Full time
Location: Brockport, NY
Department: Facilities Maintenance and Operations
Categories: Facilities Maintenance & Skilled Trade, Postdoctoral Associate
Founded in 1835, State University of New York (SUNY) Brockport is an exceptional regional comprehensive public university that offers high-quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the arts, business, education, health, humanities, social sciences, and STEM. The University's curriculum is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and emphasizes experiential learning.
Located only a few miles from Lake Ontario in a quaint "Village on the Erie Canal," SUNY Brockport is conveniently situated between the cities of Rochester and Buffalo - the fourth and second largest cities in New York State. Inspiring excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation is our mission. Join the inclusive community of dedicated faculty, staff, and students who together are Building a Better Brockport!
SUNY Brockport has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuality and encourage you to utilize your unique talents and bring your skills as we collaboratively strive to build meaningful lives and vibrant communities.
The Maintenance Assistant performs routine, repetitive maintenance, installation, and repair tasks in one or a combination of the mechanical, building construction, motor equipment, and electrical trades and journey level activities, under supervision or after receiving detailed instructions, to learn and perfect their skills. The Maintenance Assistant may perform the activities of this class with considerable independence when supervision is not available.
- Performs daily inspections of facilities to identify a wide variety of building maintenance tasks or deficiencies needing attention in various zones.
- Identifies, assists, removes, packs, transports, or disposes of hazardous materials including asbestos, lead-based paint, waste oil, fuel, and more during facilities repairs.
- Handles various types of hazardous materials such as: asbestos, refrigerants, gas, fuel oil, solvents, and more.
- Performs corrective actions to identified facilities deficiencies, and/or reports maintenance concerns requiring skilled trades to the appropriate supervisor. Corrective actions include but are not limited to: semi-skilled tasks of the structural, locksmith, mechanical/plumbing, painting and HVAC/R trades as well as basic electrical work and architectural finishes.
- Assists skilled tradespersons' when needed.
- Reviews the work order system daily and provides appropriate feedback via work order system.
- Performs snow removal tasks as assigned.
- Performs routine and emergency tasks involving scheduled/unscheduled overtime.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to follow safety standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations for the trade or trades to which assigned.
- Ability to read plans, specifications, manuals, and blueprints.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy manual labor.
- Understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Supervise student crews.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights on scaffolds and platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to use the tools, machines, equipment, and materials of the trade or trades to which assigned.
- Ability to work holidays, scheduled/unscheduled overtime, shift work and University special events.
- Ability to work in confined space situations using personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to obtain Operations and Maintenance certification for asbestos removal.
Non-competitive: Two years of full-time experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled tradesperson; OR completion of an appropriate two-year technical school course at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services, such as the New York State Civil Service Employees Association-Partnership (NYS CSEA-P) Applied Skilled Trades Certificate Program.
Candidates must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated and pass LENS Check.
If minimum requirements are met through the successful completion of the NYS-CSEA-P program, this includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific classroom instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. It does not include 4,000 hours of on-the-job training, as required for the NYS CSEA-P Applied Skilled Trades Traineeship.
- Skilled in one or more trades.
- Demonstrated computer experience.
Work Schedule: 40 hours/week; Monday-Friday; 3:00pm -11:30pm
Salary and Benefits:
May be benefits eligible; Find out more about benefits at Careers@Brockport! This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Application Instructions: Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references at jobs.hr.brockport.edu by November 24, 2023.
Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
Pre-Employment Drug Testing:
Pre-employment drug test and DOT physical may be required for positions requiring a valid Class A or B CDL driver's license with passenger endorsement.
New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at email@example.com.
Non-Discrimination Statement/Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
SUNY Brockport does not discriminate. SUNY Brockport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the university community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
SUNY Brockport is committed to creating and maintaining an equitable environment that welcomes, values, and supports individuals and communities who affirm human dignity. The University provides opportunities for engagement, learning, growth, and transformation to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution.
SUNY Brockport provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans, or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Office of Human Resources or email your request to Tamara Gouger, AVP for Human Resources and ADA Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Determinations or requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The University actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the University.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.brockport.edu/cw/en-us/job/496775/maintenance-assistant
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency