- LIFE Program Success Coach/Hispanic Initiatives
- Go to our website »
LIFE Program Success Coach/Hispanic Initiatives
NorthWest Arkansas Community College (NWACC) provides quality and affordable higher education to empower lives and strengthen communities within Northwest Arkansas and surrounding areas.
As the largest community college in Arkansas, NWACC is recognized as a leader in education. NWACC offers a full range of associate degrees, certificates and workforce training programs that prepare students for rewarding futures and careers.
NWACC employees are dedicated to fostering a diverse educational community and cultural learning environment that supports student success.
This position ensures that LIFE* students attending, or potentially attending, Northwest Arkansas Community College have the resources and support needed to ensure their individual success. This position reports directly to the Director of Hispanic and Latino Outreach. This position will support students who are part of the LIFE Program and will ensure that these students have the resources and support needed to ensure their individual success. The LIFE at NWACC's mission is to empower and create desire and access to quality higher educational opportunities for students, to promote student success during and after their enrollment in the LIFE program, and to create an atmosphere of acceptance and cultural celebration by linking all communities and peoples.
* LIFE Program: The LIFE (Learning, Improvement, Fun, and Empowerment) program at NWACC connects and supports area high school students who may or may not be considering college after graduation. This friendly group of peer mentors is determined to help high schoolers believe in their ability to accomplish all of their dreams!
- Provide early outreach to LIFE, potential LIFE students, and their parents (or other support systems) with information about the importance of postsecondary education, as well as accurate information on general enrollment steps and how to prepare.
- Assist LIFE students with their transition to college, help them to foster a sense of belonging at the College, explore academic and career possibilities, and connect them with campus support services.
- Provide information on pursuing educational opportunities and career paths including industry-valued certifications.
- Provide or connect low-income students to support services that will ease the transition to postsecondary education.
- Provide one-on-one support, or connection to appropriate department, to LIFE students with admissions, financial aid, scholarship applications, and other general enrollment steps.
- Manage and mentor a population of assigned students through appropriate positive, and responsive relationships, proactively monitoring student progress toward individual academic and career goals.
- Maintain accurate tracking of student data and records.
- Connect students to academic enrichment activities such as study groups, writing centers, math lab, tutoring, and workshops. Make referrals to appropriate departments such as counseling and wellness, DRC, food pantry, etc.
- Empower and encourage students to advocate for their success academically, personally, and professionally.
- Facilitate opportunities for job shadowing, mentoring, internships, visits to business and industry, and other career awareness activities.
- Build and maintain established relationships with local public-school partners.
- Collaborate with LIFE team on LIFE-related event planning and activities such as Summer Program, LIFEQUIZ, and Padres Program
- Other related duties as assigned.
*Position will be fluid between Bentonville and Springdale locations therefore some travel may be required. Additional short-distance travel may also be required through community and networking opportunities.
Rate of pay: $40,000 annualized
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
This position requires the ideal candidate to be able to maintain confidentiality of records and information as well as possess the ability to prioritize effectively, proactively solve problems, and manage multiple short- and long-term projects simultaneously. This position requires strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong organizational skills and proficient computer skills. The position requires the ability to build relationships with individuals and teams across campus, within local public schools, as well as within the greater NWA community. The LIFE Success Coach must also demonstrate the ability to work well with students, faculty, and staff at all levels from diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, talk or hear; regularly required to reach with hands and arms, taste or smell; occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in sociology, psychology, public administration or other relative area of study or equivalent experience.
- Spanish/English bilingual
- Experience within Latinx/Hispanic culture
- Experience working in areas of diversity & inclusion, and in serving underrepresented populations
- Experience in academic advising, financial aid, and general college enrollment services
NWACC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, please see our EEO policy.
To apply, visit https://nwacc.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/NWACC_External_Career_Site/job/Benton-County-Campus-Arkansas/LIFE-Program-Success-Coach-Hispanic-Initiatives_JR-485
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency