Facility Operations Assistant 1 - Grounds
Job no: 496768
SUNY Budget Title: Facility Operations Assistant 1 Grounds
Salary Level/Grade: SG006
Work type: Full time
Location: Brockport, NY
Department: Facilities Grounds
Categories: General Labor & Custodial
Founded in 1835, State University of New York (SUNY) Brockport is an exceptional regional comprehensive public university that offers high-quality undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the arts, business, education, health, humanities, social sciences, and STEM. The University's curriculum is grounded in the liberal arts and sciences and emphasizes experiential learning.
Located only a few miles from Lake Ontario in a quaint "Village on the Erie Canal," SUNY Brockport is conveniently situated between the cities of Rochester and Buffalo - the fourth and second largest cities in New York State. Inspiring excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation is our mission. Join the inclusive community of dedicated faculty, staff, and students who together are Building a Better Brockport!
SUNY Brockport has a strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer. We welcome individuality and encourage you to utilize your unique talents and bring your skills as we collaboratively strive to build meaningful lives and vibrant communities.
We currently have two openings for a Facility Operations Assistant 1 (Grounds). These positions are responsible for maintaining the appearance and condition of grounds, athletics fields, walkways, and roads. Acts as a member of a work crew performing a variety of grounds maintenance, gardening, and manual labor duties. This position typically uses a variety of hand and power tools and equipment. The activities, tasks, and required equipment and/or vehicles operated will vary according to the season and individual needs of the campus.
- Cleans grounds by sweeping, raking, shoveling and removing debris, leaves, branches, etc.
- Clears sites and prepares them for planting by raking, tilling soil, adding mulch and digging.
- Plants seeds, bushes, and trees using hand or power equipment.
- Cuts grass using lawnmowers; fertilizes and waters grounds; prunes bushes and trees; removes or transplants bushes or trees.
- Maintains campus turf and garden beds by irrigating, mowing, and edging, hand trimming, fertilizing, and using weed control methods.
- Removes dead trees by cutting and splitting logs using axes, chainsaws, sledge hammers and wedges.
- Loads trucks with debris, logs, dirt, using hand or power equipment.
- Constructs or repairs fences.
- Breaks up concrete to repair holes using hand or power equipment.
- Mixes and applies concrete and asphalt for patches.
- Removes trash and debris from roads, walkways and parking lots by sweeping and shoveling by hand.
- Uses hand tools to remove snow and ice from walkways, stairs, and ramps by shoveling and operating snow removal equipment.
- Plows roads, sidewalks and parking lots with trucks, tractors, back hoes, front end loaders, and skid steer.
- Applies salt and ice melt on walkways and roads and spreads by hand or power equipment.
- Sets up and removes snow fences and markers at fire hydrants and catch basins.
- Performs minor maintenance on tools and power machines.
- Shovels, digs ditches, and installs signs.
- Applies herbicides, insecticides, dormant oil, and fungicides to control weeds and insects, using hydraulic sprayer.
Sport Facilities Maintenance:
- Maintains athletic fields using appropriate lawn care procedures including striping of playing surfaces, dragging infields, setting bases in position.
- Uses riding mowers, rototillers, aerators, lawn sweepers.
- Maintains artificial turf of athletic fields and grass fields.
- Cuts and rakes turf.
- Re-sods and repairs damaged areas of fields.
- Checks the correct operation of water sprinkler systems, and reports deficiencies to higher level staff.
- Lines and prepares fields for athletic events.
- Applies pesticides or fertilizer in accordance with State pesticide application regulations.
- Sweeps dirt and debris, cleans around recycle compactors, and collects rubbish left in recycling area.
- Collects, loads, and transports waste, recycling, and compostable materials to the campus recycling center Collect and breakdown cardboard from campus buildings.
- Operates equipment such as; bobcat, forklift, skid steer, compactor, bailer and box truck on a daily basis to assist with recycling duties.
- Sorts, shreds and bales paper and cardboard by hand. Recyclable paper shall be sorted and contaminants removed.
- Collects pallets and load/unload on to truck.
- Assists and guides students in the performance of grounds and maintenance activities.
- Operates brush chippers and stump grinders as needed.
- Works within the overall organization of the Physical Plant and collaborates with skilled and unskilled personnel.
- Loads and unloads trucks and moves furniture.
- Performs light cleaning duties as assigned.
- Assists other campus departments with special projects.
- Contains and cleans up gas and/or oil spills.
- Works nights and weekends in the event of emergencies, snow removal, or campus events.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to conduct simple calculations and measures for the purpose of fertilizing and lining fields.
- Candidate must be able to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime in a team atmosphere.
- Considerable physical activity, requires heavy lifting, pushing or pulling objects weighing up to 80lbs.
- Ability to climb trees for pruning work, be able to climb in and out of holes and/or trenches, and be able to lift balled or burlap planting materials.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noise.
Labor Class: There are no education or experience qualifications for this class. Applicants must be physically able to perform the tasks of the position and be able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions. Incumbents must possess a valid New York State driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated and pass LENS Check.
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance and turf equipment operations
- NYS Commercial Certified Pesticide Applicator's License (3A)
- Ability to work at excessive heights using bucket trucks, lifts, or scaffolding
- Experience using one or more of the following: zero turn mowers, gas powered tools such as weed
- trimmers, walk behind mowers, blowers, hedge trimmers and chain saws.
- Basic mechanical ability
Work Schedule: 40 hours/week; Monday-Friday; 6:00am-2:30pm
Salary and Benefits: $34,152
May be benefits eligible; Find out more about benefits at Careers@Brockport! This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Application Instructions: Submit your application, cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references at jobs.hr.brockport.edu by November 30, 2023.
Background Investigation Statement:
All applicants are subject to a pre-employment background check.
Pre-Employment Drug Testing:
Pre-employment drug test and DOT physical may be required for positions requiring a valid Class A or B CDL driver's license with passenger endorsement.
New York State Executive Order:
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-Discrimination Statement/Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
SUNY Brockport does not discriminate. SUNY Brockport is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the university community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
SUNY Brockport is committed to creating and maintaining an equitable environment that welcomes, values, and supports individuals and communities who affirm human dignity. The University provides opportunities for engagement, learning, growth, and transformation to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive institution.
SUNY Brockport provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, veterans, or wounded warriors where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Office of Human Resources or email your request to Tamara Gouger, AVP for Human Resources and ADA Coordinator, at email@example.com. Determinations or requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
SUNY Brockport is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The University actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the University.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.brockport.edu/cw/en-us/job/496768/facility-operations-assistant-1-grounds
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency