This ad is expired.
Director of Financial Aid
Current Madison College employees must apply to the internal career site by logging into Workday
Job Posting Date:
April 24, 2023
Student Access & Success
Madison College seeks a visionary and collaborative leader to build upon our commitment of ensuring access to higher education through financial support as the Director of Financial Aid. This position will lead a team that oversees the Financial Aid and Veteran Benefits Departments who are responsible for $31.5M in financial assistance annually. For the nearly 6,000 students who receive federal financial assistance at Madison College, 69% are Pell eligible and 40% are BIPOC.
The Director's work will align campus culture with a student focused environment where staff are passionate about their roles, connected to college priorities, work collaboratively, and understand their purpose to create a positive student experience, while maintaining compliance with regulatory and institutional requirements.
Madison College's believes every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design, and deliver solutions. Hiring a diverse workforce that mirrors our student population is more than just a commitment at Madison College-it is the foundation of what we are striving to do. Come be part of our great team!
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (3): cover letter, response to 2 supplemental questions, and resume. Failure to include these documents with your application submission will render your application ineligible.
This position will be open until filled, with a first review date of May 23, 2023, at 11:59 pm. After this date, the recruitment may close without further notice.
This is a full-time, exempt, 52 weeks per year position, with some remote work offered per college policy. Anticipated start date, August 1st, 2023, or prior.
This position is in the vibrant and diverse city of Madison, Wisconsin's 2nd largest city and state capital. Madison is consistently ranked as a top community in which to work, live and play. Madison is just a short 125 miles northwest of Chicago and 77 miles west of Milwaukee. To learn more about what Mad-Town has to offer, you can visit www.visitmadison.com.
Madison College offers a generous benefit program including health and dental benefits and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS).
1. Compliance & Industry Knowledge:
- Directs the implementation of State and Federal Financial Aid and Veterans' Benefits programs, which includes planning, coordinating, interpreting, administering, and evaluating programs, projects, processes, procedures, systems, standards, and/or service offerings.
- Ensures compliance with Federal and State laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards through coordination of activities between multiple areas and working to integrate and coordinate areas.
- Serves as an industry expert in Federal Student Aid and Veteran Benefits Administration.
- Is an active leader within the state, regional, and national associations in policy and student advocacy by maintaining a constant updated knowledge of federal and other student financial aid programs, guidelines, and regulations, to ensure compliance, including though not limited to completing annual audits and other required submissions.
2. Regulatory Assessment & Policy Development:
- Leads the formulation and implementation of institutional financial aid and veteran benefits policies in accordance with federal, state, institution, or system guidelines.
- Develops, evaluates, and implements operating procedures, work methods, and software utilized to ensure program effectiveness and operational efficiency.
3. Program Development & Administration:
- Develops financial support programs, initiatives, and practices that address inequities in access to higher education and financial resources.
- Administers financial literacy programming that includes educational sessions to students, faculty, staff and the community on college affordability, expenses, loan and scholarship procurement process, implications of default rates, general financial literacy and academic standards required for sustainment of financial aid.
4. Fiscal Responsibility & Reporting:
- Researches, prepares, reviews, interprets, and analyzes a variety of complex and multi-faceted financial aid and veteran's affairs information, records, data, forms, schedules, calendars, surveys, and reports to make recommendations based on findings.
- Ensures the reconciliation of state and federal expenditure reports, monitoring the administration of financial aid and Department of Veteran's Affairs funds maintaining financial aid records in accordance with governmental requirements
- Executes the completion of all federal, state, institutional, and system-wide reports, and audits such as annual FISAP, IPEDS, WISSIS, A-133, Recertification, DVA compliance audits, program reviews, and general financial activities.
- Leads process in gathering campus data for final reporting functions for external or internal stakeholders.
- Prepares and monitors annual departmental budget which includes technology needs, personnel expenditures, professional development needs and administrative expenses.
5. Internal & External Partnerships:
- Coordinates Federal and institutional financial aid award information with the Financial Services office and the funding source to ensure the accurate processing of student accounts.
- Provides oversight and administration of all non-financial aid programs by collaborating with other areas such as the Madison College Foundation on the awarding and packaging of scholarships and grants to meet student needs most effectively.
- Develops and maintains internal and external relationships. Represents assigned area on committees, advocacy groups, and/or other related groups.
6. Leadership & Supervision:
- Makes hiring recommendations, develops and manages staff, nurtures future leaders, communicates and sets clear expectations, and holds staff accountable.
- Identifies relevant industry changes and provides leadership in communicating this information to the Dean and Executive Vice President for college alignment and strategic planning.
- Models and supports a student-centric culture that eliminates systemic barriers for students by responding to high-level student concerns regarding practices, policies, and delivery of financial programs.
7. Maintains a commitment to the college mission, vision, and values.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of managerial and supervisory principles, ability to build and maintain an effective team focused on common goals.
- Demonstrated skill in communications and human relations with populations of diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds and persons with disabilities.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, State and Federal financial aid and knowledge of, Department of Veteran's Affairs benefits processes, and regulations to include State and Federal financial aid and Department of Veteran's Affairs benefits processes, and regulations. Knowledge of financial records maintenance techniques as well as private, state, and general sources of student financial aid and scholarships.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of higher education organizations and operations.
- Ability to think strategically and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Commit to the technical college philosophy in addition to an appreciation of and sensitivity to the importance of financial aid programs and veterans' benefits in facilitating access to higher education. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information, including information protected by FERPA and HIPAA.
Education: Bachelor's degree required
Five to seven years of experience in direct student financial assistance (in higher education administration, federal or state regulatory compliance, public policy development or auditing). Experience should include the administrative lifecycle (communication, application, awarding, disbursement, reconciliation, and auditing) of Financial Aid or Veteran Benefits. Demonstrated managerial experience.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE APPLICANT:
As a requirement of this application, please submit a MS Word or PDF document answering the following two supplementary essay questions below. Each answer should not exceed one page.
Question 1: We are all here for students. This position works on initiatives/efforts and projects that enhance the experience of our diverse student populations, examples include, first-generation students, students of color, adult learners, and recent high school graduates. Using an example of a diverse student population, how would you incorporate the student perspective into the work efforts associated with this position?
Question 2: Being able to effectively manage a team is a key component of this role. Since the tasks that your employees handle deal with both sensitive information and highly audited processes. How do support a strategic balance of authority and openness in the workplace?
Madison College does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
If you are experiencing application issues please contact the HR hotline, (608) 246-6900.
To ensure that emails from us regarding your application do not go to your spam folder, please add the @madisoncollege.edu domain as a safe sender in your email.
Madison Area Technical College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in employment, admissions or its programs or activities. Madison College offers degrees, diplomas, apprenticeships and certificates in Architecture & Engineering; Arts, Design & Humanities; Business; Construction, Manufacturing & Maintenance; Culinary, Hospitality & Fitness; Education & Social Services; Health Sciences; Information Technology; Law, Protective & Human Services; Science, Math & Natural Resources; and Transportation. Admissions criteria vary by program and are available by calling our Enrollment Office at (608) 246-6210 or (800) 322-6282 Ext. 6210. The following person has been designated to coordinate Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and to handle inquiries regarding the college's nondiscrimination policies: Lisa Muchka, Compliance Coordinator, 1701 Wright Street, Madison, WI 53704 (608) 246.5221
To apply, visit https://madisoncollege.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/jobsatMadisonCollege/job/Truax-Campus-Madison/Director-of-Financial-Aid_R0004585
Welcome! Thank you for visiting our career site, where Madison College is committed to matching talent to opportunity. We are known for our real-world, smart approach to learning - offering students innovative, high-tech career pathways and college transfer opportunities with more than 150 programs to choose from. Madison College is a great place to work and has been for over 100 years, serving more than 33,000 students in 12 south-central Wisconsin counties. The College offers generous salaries, benefits, and an inspiring work environment. Employees enjoy a culture dedicated to lifelong learning, wellness and inclusiveness.
Take some time and look around - once you've have a chance to explore our current opportunities, apply to the ones you feel best suit your interests, background and experiences. Thereafter, you can keep track of your application status and watch for new opportunities that might be of interest to you.
Along with our competitive wages, check out the benefits that we offer: https://madisoncollege.edu/careers
Learn More about Madison College: https://madisoncollege.edu/about
As part of the application process, finalists will undergo a background check including criminal history, educational verification, and references. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify you from employment. All cases are considered on an individual basis, and the offense will be compared to the position for which you are applying.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency