This ad is expired.
Oregon State University
Department: College of Engineering (ENG)
Appointment Type: Administrative/Professional Faculty
Job Location: Corvallis
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with education, training and experience
The College of Engineering is seeking multiple Academic Advisors. These are full-time (1.00 FTE), 12-month, professional faculty positions.
The Academic Advisor will provide undergraduate students with advising support including but not limited to orientation, academic success strategies, career planning, course programming, and degree completion.
The advisor monitors student progress and suggests corrective action when the student encounters academic difficulty. The advisor coordinates with other University departments regarding undergraduate academic courses that support degree programs. The advisor is a source of information for prospective students, and actively recruits students through participation in various University and College sponsored orientations and events. The advisor also works with student information systems and various data files and sources and prepares a wide variety of reports using multiple databases and spreadsheets. The advisor keeps abreast of University and College policies, procedures, rules, and regulations to assist students in meeting academic requirements. The advisor may assume a leadership role that supports academic programs and special projects.
In addition to direct academic advising, advisors support the College in one or more of the following areas: assessment of advising, career explorations and integrative academic/career advising, early warning/intrusive advising, international student advising, and working with students in academic difficulty.
All positions support the primary mission of the University, the College of Engineering (COE), and academic services.
Summary of Benefits : https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/prospective-employee
To calculate our Total Rewards Package use this link: https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/new-employees/benefits-calculator
70% - Direct advising to engineering students (undergraduate)
Monitor academic progress of up to 300 engineering students. Assist students with academic program planning, course selection and registration, resource connections, and exploration of experiential learning opportunities.
Provide advising that helps students connect their skills, abilities, and interests with their academic and career goals. Provide intrusive advising for students experiencing academic difficulty.
20% - Administrative advising duties
Coordinate advising and student services in specific specialty area(s) as assigned (I.e.- assessment of advising, early alert, living learning communities, orientations, internships, international, etc.).
10% - Records, Data Management, Other duties
Maintain accurate electronic notes and records of students progress in MyDegrees system, attends regular staff meetings, participate in campus-wide committees tied with academic advising or specialty areas.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution.
- One year of professional experience as an academic advisor or other student support area.
- Competency and/or experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Outstanding demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with employers, students, staff, faculty and administrators.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally in front of small and large groups and to provide workshops, trainings and outreach programs.
- Experience in academic advising, admissions counseling, academic support programs, resident life or a combination of those areas with another student contact area.
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, email, databases, and presentation software.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity and inclusion.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard: 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions.
Additional Required Qualifications
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
- Two or more years of full-time employment as a professional academic advisor in a college or university setting.
- Professional experience assisting international students.
- Knowledge of student development theory and intrusive/proactive advising strategies.
- Masters degree in College Administration, Advising, Education, or STEM field.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 5/21/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A Resume
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
The ability to respond and communicate well in writing is essential to this position. Please respond to the following questions. Your response should be thoughtful and not exceed 300 words per question.
3) The College of Engineering is committed to fostering an inclusive learning and working environment. What experiences have you had working with diverse populations? How would you support these student populations at Oregon State University in the College of Engineering? (upload as Other Document 1)
4) Advisors in the college advise a student caseload of 250-300 students. How have you built interpersonal relationships in the past, and how would you develop interpersonal relationships with on-campus and online students? (upload as Other Document 2)
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact:
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the criminal history check requirement.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/136292
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency