Student Financial Aid Advisor
Job ID: 8366
Location: El Paso, TX
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Posting End Date
Open until filled
Earliest Start Date
As soon as possible
Hours per Week
40.00 Standard Hours from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Office of Student Financial Aid/Student Financial Services
To be able to perform the duties of this position, the candidate must have access to several federal databases. To be granted access and clearance to these federal systems, the incumbent cannot be in default on any type of federal student loan.
Required Application Materials
A resume, letter of interest, and a list of three (3) professional references.
Please submit all documents in a single PDF file to be considered.
Purpose of Position
Under the general supervision of the Director of Financial Aid, the Student Financial Aid Advisor (SFAA) is responsible for advising students and families regarding Federal, State and institutional financial aid program, assisting with financial aid issues and processing financial aid related forms and applications. This role focuses on providing an optimal student experience related to students financing their education. The SFAA is responsible for the delivery of outstanding customer service by delivering clear and accurate information to the Office's constituents, building solid working relationships and a strong connection with students, offering effective solutions, maintaining contact with students and their families as they move through the financial aid process and providing a welcoming office environment. The position requires a dedicated commitment to providing excellent customer service, a high-level of attention to detail and accuracy, compliance with federal regulations and both technical and analytical abilities. The SFAA must have the ability to perform multiple tasks, proven problem-solving skills, and knowledge of federal financial aid processes and programs.
- Provides extensive advising to students and parents on financing options to pay for school, financial aid eligibility, cost of attendance, and financial aid policies and procedures via direct meetings, presentations, workshops, e-mails, telephone calls and other communication methods. Outreach efforts include both on- and off-campus events.
- Collects and/or reviews financial aid applications and forms to determine completeness and eligibility for financial aid. Verifies accuracy of documents and consistency of data collected from federal IRS tax return transcripts, other verification documents and student information. Performs data analysis to identify discrepancies and determines action for resolution.
- Requests additional information of incomplete or inconsistent applications needed to perform accurate need analysis and awarding of financial aid.
- Processes applications according to federal and state regulations; performs needs analysis calculations according to guidelines and determines eligibility and appropriate award amounts; and makes adjustments, changes and/or corrections as necessary.
- Resolves financial aid issues with students, parents and staff.
- Understands and keeps current on all financial aid regulations and policies by subscribing to list-serves; reading financial aid regulations, policies, and procedures that are distributed by federal, state, and institutional sources; networking with other financial aid officers; and attending workshops, conferences and seminars.
- Complies with FERPA regulations and maintains a high degree of confidentiality due to sensitive information held within the office.
- Maintains appropriate documentation via an automated student system.
- Analyzes various system-generated reports to verify compliance and eligibility of students receiving aid under federal and institutional guidelines. Monitors satisfactory academic progress of students according to Federal and University standards.
- Ability to manage student workers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to understand, follow and adhere to regulatory policies and related procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented, accurate, organized and efficient.
- Ability to work independently, handle large volumes of work, and multi-task with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to handle information in a confidential and professional manner.
- Strong computer skills; proficiency in MS Office Suite.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Public Administration, Education, Social Sciences or related field.
1-2 years of relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Bilingual in Spanish
Two years of proven customer service experience.
1-2 years related work experience in a higher education environment, preferably in financial aid.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Occasional travel may be required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must frequently sit. The employee must regularly walk and stand; use hands to feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must lift and move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
In keeping with its Access and Excellence mission, The University of Texas at El Paso is committed to an open, diverse, and inclusive learning and working environment that honors the talents, respects the differences, and nurtures the growth and development of all. We seek to attract faculty and staff who share our commitment.
The University of Texas at El Paso is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or sexual orientation and gender in employment or the provision of services in accordance with state and federal law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes an employee's or prospective employee's right to be free from sexual harassment under Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972.
For accommodation information for employees and applicants with disabilities, please contact UTEP's Equal Opportunity Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit https://zahr-prd-candidate-ada.utshare.utsystem.edu/psp/ZAHRPRDADA/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=8366&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency