This ad is expired.
Complex Director 442021, 442023, 442024
Position Type: Staff
Position Number: 20112574
Department: Cardinal Village Operations
Job Summary/Basic Function:
About This Role:
The Complex Director (CD) is responsible for the residential life functions one or more residence halls. The CD fosters a safe, positive, and inclusive community environment that encourages students to develop their full potential. This position includes educational, supervisory, and administrative functions that promote student engagement, academic success, personal development, and a strong sense of community. Given the unique nature of this live-in position, the position has a renewable contract for up to four years ending on July 15 of each year. Staff will be asked in March to make a commitment for the following year. Should a staff member be hired mid-year, additional time to end on July 15 may be offered.
What You'll Do - Position Duties
As a member of our team, you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
Staff Selection & Development:
- Train, supervise, motivate, and evaluate staff of Resident Assistants (RAs) and a staff of Desk Assistants (DAs)
- Coordinate weekly staff meetings with RAs at which information is communicated, ongoing training is offered, and team-building opportunities are provided.
- Conduct weekly or bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with RAs
- Coordinate monthly all-staff in-services in conjunction with other professional staff
- Monitor and maintain an in-hall duty rotation system
- Oversee the management of a programming budget
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of new student staff
- Empower RA staff to resolve roommate conflicts, serving as a resource in the establishment of roommate contract agreements to mediate conflict
- Responsible for all social media contact with students concerning Housing & Residence Life.
- Reports to the Director of Housing & Residence Life on social media outreach to students.
- Monitor and provide support and guidance in the implementation of a programming model put forth by the Office of Residence Life
- Support the mission of the Office of Residence Life through purposeful programming initiatives
- Support the academic mission of Lamar University
- Attend and support hall programs, maintaining visibility throughout the hall community
- Advise and develop leadership skills of Community Council (student organization).
- Create and maintain an environment conducive to respect for the environment and for one another
- Adjudicate student conduct cases as designated Director of Housing & Residence Life
- Maintain an accurate roster of residents that is up-to-date at all times, coordinating occupancy verifications monthly
- Serve as an active member of one or more committees designed to complete departmental projects.
- Attend Residence Life staff training at the beginning of each fall and spring semester
- Process paperwork in a timely manner in accordance with all policies and procedures
- Issue violation notices and fine letters for housing and handbook violations
- Maintain judicial records through effective use of student conduct software and providing accurate student files.
- Create and manage the work schedules of RAs and DAs to maintain office/desk coverage
- Meet one-on-one weekly with Director of Residence Life
- Coordinate hall openings and closings
- Facilitate room changes
- Coordinate monthly health and wellness checks
- Ensure a safe environment with thorough facilities/security systems and prevention programming.
- Conduct weekly walk-through and report on-going facility and safety issues.
Facilities Management/Summer Responsibilities:
- Conducting thorough room-to-room maintenance inspections throughout the summer
- During the summer months work with summer school, new student orientation and/or summer conference housing.
- Inputting work orders into a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Maintain open lines of communication with Facilities Management staff
- Conduct fire drills in conjunction with Risk Management
- Serve as a staff member from April-August in assisting with New Student Orientation program.
- Coordinate the assignment/move-in/out processes of summer residential camps.
- Serve on an a professional and para-professional 24-hour on-call rotation for emergency situations that arise after-hours, weekends, including some holidays.
- Use departmental protocol to respond to crisis or emergency situations which includes providing guidance to paraprofessional staff, parents, and students.
- Provide functional guidance and leadership in individually specified areas or projects as needed.
- Live-on required
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Housing & Residence Life
Who We Are:
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100-degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
Benefits - Job Perks:
At Lamar University one of the ways, we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
Our Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition covered at 100% for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
- Paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays.
What Youll Need to Succeed - Minimum Qualifications
- One year paraprofessional or professional experience in working in higher education residence life.
- Bachelors Degree Required.
Masters Degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education or related field preferred.
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date: 02/10/2023
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit https://jobs.lamar.edu/.
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency